Thursday, October 27, 2011

I cooked something, and it was actually good.

I have never, ever claimed to be a good cook. My poor husband has half-heartedly eaten many of my new recipe endeavors for a long time . He finally asked that I just stop trying, unless it's extremely basic or comes in a Roman's Pizza box.
Never having been one to give up, I still routinely attempt new recipes. Occasionally, I'm successful. This was one of those days ! The weather has finally cooled off, so I thought McAlister's tortilla soup sounded fab. I grabbed a soup/salad for lunch while working, and it was so good. That got me started on the hunt for an easy recipe that I could make in the crock pot.
  I had a really hard time finding a recipe that fit my taste. One had too many beans, one was too watery. Others involved actually cooking something. On the stove. Undeterred, I grabbed a few ingredients from this recipe, and a few from this one, and added a thing or two of my own (this rarely works out in my favor).

Here's what I ended up using:

A crock pot liner (yes, I would totally write this in your recipe because it is a MUST)
About 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (I used a rotisserie chicken)
2 Cans low sodium cream of chicken soup
1 Can Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese Soup (this is where the creaminess of the soup comes from, one of my random additions)
1 Can Rotel ( I used Medium , could use Hot if you like it extra spicy)
2 Chicken Buillon Cubes (I didn't have the chicken broth that all of the recipes called for)
A few shakes of Cumin
2-ish Soup Cans of Water (more or less to thin soup to desired thickness)
Corn Tortillas cut into strips


I dumped all of into the good old crock pot, gave it a stir, and set it on "Low" for about 6 hours.  About 10 minutes before I was ready to eat, I mixed in about 4-5 corn tortillas which I cut into strips using my kitchen shears.



I topped the soup with just a tiny bit of cheddar cheese and sour cream.



Oh, my gosh. Yum. My belly is warm and fuzzy...or not..






1 comment: